Located on the Spencer Gulf South Australia, Port Pirie is just a 3 hour drive from Adelaide and is at the gateway to the Southern Flinders Ranges. We are here to convince you why you should be sure not to pass Port Pirie when you make the drive through South Australia! Stay at the John Pirie Motor Inn, conveniently located accommodation, rated #1 by TripAdvisor. We have compiled a guide to the top reasons to check out South Australia’s Port Pirie.
1. Port Pirie Regional Tourism and Arts Centre
Iconic to the township of Port Pirie, the Regional Tourism and Arts Centre is an ideal starting point for anyone wishing to explore the town and surrounding region. It has plenty of tourist information as well as galleries which have beautiful examples of local, national and international art.
Port Pirie is where tourists and locals visit to get their fishing fix. The two most popular spots to enjoy a great fishing experience are;
• Weeroona Island is 13km from the centre of town, and offers deep water for great fishing experiences.
• Port Germein has one of Australia’s longest jetties where you can be sure to catch something off the edge of.
The Port Pirie Producer’s Market is a great place to start the day. Producers sell anything from home décor to bakes goods, with local and fresh vegetables. Breakfast is on offer, along with coffee, so you can definitely claim that your breakfast supports the locals!
4. Northern Festival Centre
This centre holds art shows, theatrical events such as cabaret, and dramatic productions like Ned Kelly. The centre is open Monday to Friday and is worth a visit to see what’s happening in the arts scene.
Port Pirie is a great place to get out and enjoy nature. There are many walks available around the region.
• Port Pirie’s Self-Guided Heritage Walk introduces you to the stories of the heritage buildings in Port Pirie. The Information Centre will be able to provide a map for this walk.
• The Port Pirie War Cemetery is located at the general cemetery. It’s a good place to pay respects to the men who lost their lives to protect Australia.
Where to stay? Stay with us at John Pirie Motor Inn, conveniently located on the main road into Port Pirie township from Adelaide, providing superior 3.5 star motel accommodation in South Australia’s mid North. Book Now!
Header Image: www.graphicexpressions.com.au / Rail Museum, Port Pirie